Tuesday 8 March 2011

# 3 - Tuesday Morning & International Women's Day

It was an interesting start to the morning when I lazily turned over in bed and wondered whether it was nearly time to get up. I reached for my phone and, GASP, it was 7.15am. My alarm was a no-show.

So I was running late. Traffic was terrible and I saw a car accident (a little white Audi went 'crunch' and a 'suit' went troppo).

I finally made it to the office and had a coffee from here The coffee helped. A. Lot.

Anyhoo; if these are my problems, then life is pretty good for me. And it's a good day to reflect on what I have, especially compared to my fore-mothers, or Suffragettes. Today is International Women's Day, as you've probably already heard. You can take a peep at their website here. There's also a link here to some of my recent TV viewing; I've just watched Season 1 of 'Mad Men'. I've been amazed at what the workplace was like for the women depicted in the series; poor Peggy is gawked at by every man in the office and then made fun of when she creates a great copy. Imagine if any of that carry-on happened at work today! Thank goodness that we have progressed such a long way in our equal employment practices.

On the flip side though, there are still too many examples of inequality in today's workplace. In HR Daily today, I read the following
Until recently, the representation of women in the senior executive and board ranks of Australia's top companies was "world's worst practice"
You can read the article here

So, for me, while we sure have come a long, long way... there's still more to be done. I'm sure you'd agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment