Sunday 25 September 2011

Knit and Sew

Last week I roped in a few of my lovely colleagues to spend the day volunteering with me at Save the Children.


We worked our little fingers to the bone, as we stitched knitted squares into blankets. I had also knitted a few squares to donate to the cause and while I didn't have enough for a whole blanket, they got included with some other dontated squares to make up a blanket.

The finished blankets will be sent to India, Cambodia and Laos to help children keep warm in the hope of preventing pneumonia; one of the biggest killers in children under five in the developing world.

Volunteering is one of those things that I've always wanted to do more of, but to be honest I've never prioritised it or really worked at making it happen and that's about to change... as of now. I want to find a regular avenue to volunteer and to give service to the local or global community. I believe that having a more active service role in my life will help me to 'feel right' (one of my recently crafted personal commandments). Being involved in the Born to Knit campaign has been right up my alley; a fantastic combination of my craft and my interest in volunteering.

Now to get knitting for next years Save the Children campaign!

No comments:

Post a Comment