Monday 12 September 2011

Check your letterbox!

I posted a few weeks ago about letters, or more specifically, hand written letters and how much pleasure you can receive from sending and receiving letters.

I'm pleased to report that I have since written five letters to friends and family. I've also received one letter back! I was so thrilled to open this beautiful letter, where one of my dear friends explained how my post had reminded her how much she used to love writing and receiving letters.  After reading her awesome letter, of course I sat down and wrote her back! I think this might mean that we're pen-pals now!

The last time I had a pen-pal was in Primary school. I think that the girls name was Caroline and she was from the U.K. I have no memory of how we came to be pen-pals, but it must have been arranged through my school. We wrote each other a number of letters back and forth and I remember that I used those funny blue aerogrammes, how retro! Imagine telling my future children about that one day! Mummy used to have to write a letter on funny blue paper which folded up into an envelope, as this was the best way to write to someone in another country. I'm sure I'll be asked why I didn't just Skype, email or Facebook them. How much communication has changed in the few years between my childhood and adulthood.

I still have more letters to write and I still want to encourage you to write a letter to someone special in your life. Don't worry if you don't have pretty paper (although you can pick some of that up at Kikki K!), just grab a page out of your notebook and write a special hello to that special person.

The only catch is having to trot down to the post office for stamps!

No comments:

Post a Comment