Wednesday 31 August 2011

Feisty Jane


Jane Eyre was one of my first literary loves. The character of Jane resonated strongly with me, I admired her and wanted to be like her; she's strong willed, independent of thought and determined not to be looked down upon because of her gender, her position or her lack of money or status. To put it simply; she kicks butt.

I saw the recent adaptation of Jane Eyre last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Mia Wasikowska gave a beautiful performance as Jane and I was pleased to see that Mr Rochester was just as handsome as he needed to be! I always thought that he should be handsome in a strangely compelling way; not traditionally handsome, or 'hunky' but oddly handsome and you should feel drawn to him. Michael Fassbender was a perfect Rochester in my eyes.

Jane and Rochester

In closing, if you haven't read Jane Eyre before, you really have to. It's a novel before it's time. I also highly recommend this film adaptation; it's probably not showing for much longer, so get down to your local cinema and grab your ticket!

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! Jane Eyre is brilliant and worth a read! Have you seen the BBC adaption? It's quite dark in my opinion but superb- the film doean't come out in the UK for another week or so but I can't wait!! I will definately be going to see it.

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know what you think of the movie, Hannah! I hope you love it as much as I did!
    I haven't seen the BBC adaptation, thanks for recommending it... I'll see whether my library has a copy! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally managed to see it! It was a very good adaption, I really enjoyed it. Worth paying to see :) I can't wait til it comes out on DVD now and then I can watch it again.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it! What did you think of Michael Fassbender as Rochester? I thought he was a little bit dreamy, in a Rochester kind of way!

    ReplyDelete