Tuesday 2 August 2011

What 'fun' means


I'm still reading this awesome book (and also reading the daily happiness emails as well; you can sign up for those over here).

The book is really resonating with me and I'm having all of these little a-ha moments; it feels like they're zinging all around me while I read. It's kinda cool.

This particular a-ha moment was so good that I wanted to share; here's the quote that got me thinking about fun and what it means to me...
I needed to acknowledge to myself what I enjoyed, not what I wished I enjoyed. If something was really fun for me, it would pass this test; I looked forward to it; I found it energising, not draining; and I didn't feel guilty about it later.
- Rubin, The Happiness Project, 2009

In my life, there are a whole heap of things that I wish I was interested in doing. I wish that I was a bit more interested in reading 'The Economist', that I read more about International Affairs, that I understood how Twitter works, and the list goes on. But to be honest, I'm not that interested in any of these things, that's why I find it such a struggle to do them. So why bother? It would be a whole lot easier (and I'd be happier) if I spent time doing what's fun to me (which won't be what's fun for you, and that's cool, because I'm me and you're you!)

Sheesh, am I making any sense here? I'm not trying to say that it's not good to try new things and to push yourself if you don't initially enjoy something; but it's those things that you know deep down you're just not that interested in, even if you wish you were.

And so I have another little resolution; I'm going to stop thinking about what I wish I was interested in and embrace what I do find fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment