Monday 28 November 2011

Give Handmade

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon crocheting. It's been years since I last attempted a crochet project. I was inspired by this lovely blanket, which luckily for me has an awesome tutorial to get me started.

Courtesy of Meet me at Mike's; Larksfoot Blanket. Isn't it gorg!
There's a special occasion early next year for one of my friends and in the spirit of giving handmade, I thought she would love (and I would love to give) a handmade blanket.

Giving handmade is also going to be my theme for Christmas this year. Last year I went with a giving nothing theme as I was feeling a bit down about the excess of our Western lives when compared to how little others have.  I decided to donate some money to Oxfam and kept the actual presents to an absolute minimum. 

I'm keeping some of that theme this year and I've 'bought' a goat and a duck through Oxfam Unwrapped (goat = 'a gift that's gruff, tough and does heaps of good stuff'). For the other presents I'll be giving, they'll be courtesy of my sewing machine.

Giving handmade is great for a few reasons; I get pleasure from making, the recipient knows that I spent time and love making their present, it's a great way to recycle or reuse and it's less commercial, hopefully it means a bit more.

I encourage you to join me and give handmade this year.  If you're not into making stuff yourself, you can always pick up great handmade gifts at Etsy and Made It.

No comments:

Post a Comment