Monday 20 June 2011

Addiction


Some people suffer from horrible, debilitating addictions. These addictions ruin people's lives and cause great pain and suffering.

I also suffer from an addiction; but it's a lovely, life enriching addiction... I'm addicted to buying yarn.

My addiction often rears it's head on a Saturday morning and it plays out a little something like this;
  • Hmmm, I know I have so many other projects to finish, but it sure would be lovely to start a new one on this cold Melbourne weekend.
  • The yarn shop is only a short drive away; I can get there and back in no time at all.
  • Anyway, I don't spend a lot of money on me anyway; I don't smoke or gamble (I do drink though!) or waste my money on silly things.... I deserve it!
  • OK, I'm doing it; keys are located, purse in hand and I'm out the door.
  • A short drive later I arrive and the browsing begins.
  • Half an hour to 45 minutes later (this can be longer if I have a friend in tow), I've had a wonderful time looking through books and gazing at the lovely yarns.
  • Needless to say, I have spied a few things that I simply MUST have.
At the end of my escapade, I walk away a few dollars poorer, but all the more enriched and glad that I have a lovely hobby to help me unwind and de-stress.  And that, I think, is priceless.

2 comments: