Tuesday 28 June 2011

A scarf for Jock

Did anyone else see the episodes of 'Australian Story' about Jock Palfreeman?

I had heard about Jock's case before, but hadn't really kept up to date with the recent events.  For those of you who haven't heard about the Palfreeman's before, here's my quick summary:

Jock is a young Australian convicted of murder in Bulgaria. In December 2007 he was involved in a dispute, where a Bulgarian man was killed and another injured. Jock states that he became involved in the dispute after coming to the aid of a Roma man who was being targeted by the Bulgarian men. He states that the group turned on him and he then drew a knife to protect himself. Jock has been in Sofia prison ever since.

I encourage you to watch the episodes and make your own assessment on the case. For me, the documentary showed some really basic flaws in the case and the trial process; it seems as though the foreigner was always going to be held accountable no matter what the facts.

The documentary also highlighted the torment a parent experiences in cases such as Jock's.

When the credits started rolling, I was left asking myself if there was anything I could to to help. While I admit that my knowledge of the case is limited, you couldn't watch this documentary and not have empathy for the plight of a young person, locked away for 20 years in a foreign country.

I found the Free Jock website and there was a 'how to help' tab. One option was to write to Jock; that I can do, no problem. And I figured that it must get pretty damn cold in Bulgaria, so I'm going to also knit Jock a scarf to keep him warm in that Sofia prison.

It might sound like something small and it is really, but it's something that I can do to maybe make a small difference to him.

Free Jock website; created by his friends and family.
You can watch the 'Australian Story' episodes here.
News.com.au article about the documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment