Thursday 7 July 2011

Far From the Madding Crowd


As you will know, I've been a little obsessed of late with period dramas.  The latest of which is 'Far From the Madding Crowd'.

I confess that I haven't read this book before; it's always been on my 'to read' list, but I've never prioritised it.  Well now I'm wondering why!  Last weekend I watched the 1998 adaptation (see the movie poster below) and it was really ace! I felt so sorry for Mr Boldwood and isn't Bathsheba Everdene just the most out there name you ever heard!

I'll be re-prioritising this book on my 'must read' list because I'm sure that the book will be even more engrossing than the mini-series was.  The story line really kept me on my toes; I didn't see the big twist coming and while I was hoping that Bathsheba would end up with the right man, I wasn't really sure that it was going to happen.

So all in all, I highly recommend giving this mini-series a watch and if you're up for it, getting your hands on a copy of the book.

2 comments:

  1. The book is brilliant :) as is the film. This is defo my favourite adaption- Bathsheba seems more niave and innocent- more how she is in the book. I'm not keen on her in the older version (1967), I don't think that the actress was right for Bathsheba in that adaption. Glad you enjoyed it! It's another one of my favourites. Another good book and film is Under The Greenwood Tree (Hardy). The book, however, is better than the film and has a very good/ shocking twist!

    Enjoy

    Hannah xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to read the book sometime soon (I'm still reading Persuasion at the moment.) Thanks for all of your recommendations; it's always great to find something lovely to watch. BTW, we have the season finale of Downton next weekend; can't wait to see if Mary accepts Matthew!

    ReplyDelete