Saturday 16 July 2011

Making a difference

I've been at a work conference this week and I was lucky enough to hear from a number of amazing guest speakers, like Li Cunxin (Mao's Last Dancer) and Lisa McInnes-Smith.

One of our presenters spoke about an organisation called Toms Shoes; for every pair of shoes they sell, they provide a pair to a child in need. How awesome is that.

It got me thinking; what can I do to help make a difference in someone else's life on an ongoing basis? I decided to set myself a goal to find a way to involve myself or to start something of my own that can fulfill this idea.

In the meantime, I'm using my craft to get involved in a couple of different projects that will make a difference to someone else. I'm knitting a scarf to send to Jock in Bulgaria (I wrote about that here) and once I've finished that, I'm going to knit a blanket as part of the Born to Knit Campaign. This campaign is run by Save the Children Australia and they're aiming to gather 15,000 knitted blankets that can be sent to children in India, Cambodia and Laos. The blankets will help keep these kids safe, warm and healthy. Pneumonia is the one of the biggest killers of kidlets under 5 in the developing world so a nice warm blanket will go a long way towards preventing kids contracting this disease.

I'm really excited to get thinking about what my community/giving project will be and in the meantime, I'll keep my knitting needles clicking for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment