Sunday 10 April 2011

Sunday Vintage

It's been a vintage inspired Sunday afternoon. I started my new knitting project and despite it being a little tricky and going to take some time, I think the results will be worth the effort. (I left it a little late in the day to take the photo, so it's a bit dark, but you'll still see how lovely the project is).


I'll be knitting in a colour quite similar to the photo and in 100% wool. The yarn is lovely; soft and light, so I'm sure it will be warm and comfortable to wear. Now, the goal will be to finish it to get some wear for this winter. Sound achievable? Well, sure it sounds that way, but when your knitting a lace pattern on 3mm needles, it can take some time!

The other vintage element to my Sunday afternoon, was watching Mad Men; the last few episodes of season 2. It's such a cleverly written script and so convincingly acted by the cast.  The ending was quite dramatic and profound. If you haven't watched this great series, you really must. I've written about this topic before, but I want to indulge myself again. For someone who wasn't around during the 60's, the series provides a no-holds barred look at society including; politics, international relations (the threat of nuclear war with the Soviets), fashion, the role of women, drinking in the workplace, smoking on aeroplanes, the lack of tolerance for gay people, African-American civil rights and the list goes on. The people responsible for the sets, wardrobe and other cultural references have done such a bang-on job; it's like the show was filmed 40 years ago.

While I was relaxing, knitting and Mad Men-ing, my Mr went to a car show at Flemington and came back a happy camper. There's something to be said for going your separate ways to enjoy your separate past times and then coming back together again. I love that we have some separate interests and that we freely allow each other to spend time fostering and enjoying these things.


And so another weekend is about to bite the dust; but not before I overindulge in reality TV and get the lastest update from Camp Biggest Loser! Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment